My kids are chocolate lovers; daughter always asks for chocolate chips cookies, and my son also wants cookies with chocolate. I tried and tested vanilla cupcakes, so decide to try chocolate cupcakes. This recipe turned to be my best dark chocolate cupcakes.
Please take a look at following link how you can make this best dark Chocolate cupcake recipe
Before Christmas, Rizzi from The New York Baking Company contacted me if I am interested to review silicone baking cups. I thought why don’t I give it a try and I told him yes. And he sends me a dozen silicone baking cups and told me he wants honest review. My daughter got really excited seeing the package as it is different colors. She told me she needs cupcake in all these. Since I tried vanilla cupcakes, I decide to try chocolate cupcake. I was searching the internet for best recipes. Most of the recipes are with buttermilk, some are with sour cream, and recently I discovered that if you use sour cream in baking cakes, you will get a good moist cake.
On searching I found this recipe, and when I checked my pantry I have only Hershey’s special dark chocolate in my hand, so decided to modified the recipe a little bit. I changed oil to butter, instead of ½ cup cocoa, I used 1/3 cup special dark cocoa, ¼ cup sour cream and ½ cup coffee made with ½ teaspoon instant coffee and ½ cup water. I was able to get 12 cupcakes with this recipe. They are delicious my kids started to eating as soon coming out the oven.
I made the chocolate ganache frosting to go with these dark chocolate cupcakes. It is easy to make I made with semi sweet chocolate bars and heavy cream.
Regarding the silicone baking cups, I have used it twice, first time for eggless Pina colada cupcakes, the recipe turned out to be disaster. However, cupcakes comes of the baking cups every easily. Next time I used was for the chocolate cupcake recipes, they turned out be delicious, and I will not search for any other recipe.
Pros of the silicone baking cups. are that they are BPA free; you don’t need to grease them before baking. You can also handle them while they are hot. Cupcakes come out very easily. Baking cups are very colorful, so kids will love them. Washing these cupcakes turned out to be little harder, you need to hand wash them by flipping and use a brush to clean all those little grooves. Even after soaking in soap water for overnight, I found this step is necessary. I don’t think you can wash them in dishwasher as they so light, it will scattered around the dishwasher and also dishwasher can’t wash the food sticks out of the tiny grooves. You can use this for you daily baking schedule, however if you are keeping these cupcakes for a party or you want to give the cupcakes as a gift, you have to make sure you to get back your liners back. I haven’t tried any jelly recipes with this; I will try it in future. It sells in Amazon, for at $ 9.95 a dozen.
I was provided with 12 baking silicone cups from New York Baking Company. All opinion mentioned here is mine.
My Best Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s special dark cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- ¼ cup butter (soft at room temperature)
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- 9 ounce of semi sweet baking chocolate
- ¾ cup heavy cream
Chocolate Ganache frosting
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place silicone baking cups in muffin tin.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of instant coffee powder in ½ cup boiling water and set aside.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add sour cream, butter, egg, sugar and vanilla cream well then add flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add coffee to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Evenly distribute cake batter. Each cupcake liner should be about 2/3ths full.
- Place in the oven and bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Place 9 ounce of chocolate and heavy cream into microwave safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds high, then and mix very well. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to thicken the chocolate a little bit so that it will easy for piping.
- Transfer the entire content in the piping bag and pipe according your wish on the top of chocolate cupcakes.
Copyright ©2014 Zesty South Indian Kitchen by Swathi( Ambujom Saraswathy) All Rights Reserved
The border-radius property allows you to add rounded corners to elements.